Our Commitment to Justice
In the Community: Our Commitment to Justice
Our firm's founding story is one of humble beginnings, considerable challenges, determination, and dedication—anchored by a profound commitment to Minnesota. We recognize that we must act as a leader to help strengthen both our profession and the communities we serve. Our efforts include the following:
- Division of Indian Work: In 2021, Maslon made a $20,000 contribution to support the Division of Indian Work, a nonprofit honoring Native culture, educating youth, developing leaders, strengthening families, and providing basic needs in the Twin Cities and greater Minnesota for more than 70 years.
- NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund: In 2020, Maslon celebrated Juneteenth by making a contribution to support the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund (LDF)—a premier legal organization that has long fought for racial justice. We are proud of our longstanding commitment to advancing civil rights and liberties but recognize that our renewed commitment to acknowledge and take the necessary steps to fight for racial justice is critical at this time.
- AchieveMpls: In 2016, Maslon celebrated our 60th anniversary by making a five-year $60,000 financial commitment to support AchieveMpls (Now Achieve Twin Cities), the strategic nonprofit partner of Minneapolis Public Schools dedicated to closing the achievement gap by preparing inner-city students to meet challenges and accomplish their dreams of college, meaningful work, and a bright future. As stated on its website "The stakes couldn't be higher for our young people—especially young people of color—and our region." Maslon continues to help support the organization's mission through an annual contribution.
- Sponsorships: Maslon is pleased to support a variety of organizations working to advance diversity through leadership, active engagement, and sponsorship, including the below:
- Achieve Twin Cities
- The Advocates for Human Rights
- Human Rights Campaign
- Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers
- Minnesota Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Minnesota Hispanic Bar Association
- Minnesota Lavender Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Page Education Foundation
- Representative Involvement: Maslon attorneys proudly serve in leadership positions within impactful organizations and have been appointed to official commissions working to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion, including the following currently held posts:
- Federal Bar Association Minnesota Chapter, Diversity Committee: Keiko Sugisaka
- Minnesota Commission on Judicial Selection: Mary Knoblauch, Keiko Sugisaka
Pro Bono Service: Maslon has a deep commitment to providing pro bono service to protect both individual rights and the collective rights of the disadvantaged. As attorneys, we believe such work is our moral and ethical responsibility and is fundamental to the integrity of the judicial system. As a result, our work spans a broad spectrum of clients and cases, including civil rights matters. Read more about Maslon's commitment to pro bono service.