UPLIFT Law Student Trial Coach
UPLIFT Legal Institute for Teens
UPLIFT is a pipeline program serving middle school students who reflect the rich diversity of the Twin Cities. UPLIFT’s mission is to create opportunities for BIPOC students to learn about the law and develop long-term academic vision. UPLIFT’s mock trial program is an after school club for eighth graders in which students are empowered by learning how to perform a mock trial. Volunteering as a law student leader with UPLIFT is an incredibly rewarding experience. Not only will law student leaders hone and develop their trial and standup skills, but they will also have the opportunity to network and create relationships with volunteer lawyers from the Twin Cities legal community.
Volunteer Job Summary – Law Student Leaders:
Law Student Leaders will volunteer in UPLIFT’s mock trial program, using assigned curriculum to teach students in after school programs taking place at participating middle schools, culminating in a mock trial competition. The time commitment per week is approximately five hours, including preparation and coaching and mentoring at the after school program. Law student leaders will have the opportunity to work and connect with volunteer attorney coaches from private practice, in-house counsel offices, and public service. Eligible candidates must have access to transportation to their assigned middle school. Completion of or enrollment in Evidence course is helpful, but not required.
Duties/ Responsibilities Include:
- Uses assigned curriculum to teach and mentor eighth grade students about the purpose of criminal trials, burden of proof, role of participants in a trial, and elements of a trial.
- Leads and supports volunteer attorney mock trial coaches in teaching eighth grade students how to perform trial skills: openings, closings, direct examinations, cross examinations, objections, impeachments, exhibits, etc.
- Regularly communicates schedules and curriculum plans with assigned attorney coaches.
- Takes attendance and communicates with on-site teacher and with UPLIFT leaders regarding student absences.
- Mock trial programs run from October to March, with an approximate five hour per week commitment.
- Mandatory training will take place on Sept. 23 to provide leaders with thorough instruction on the curriculum and learning goals.
- Mock trial meetings begin in October. Leaders will be assigned one of three locations:
- St. Louis Park Middle School (2025 Texas Avenue South) will meet on Tuesdays from Oct. 3 to Feb. 27, 4-5:30 p.m.;
- Columbia Academy in Columbia Heights (900 49th Ave. NE) will meet on Wednesdays from Oct. 4 to Feb. 28, 3:15-4:45 p.m.; and
- Roseville Area Middle School (15 County Rd B2 E) will meet on Wednesdays from Oct. 4 to Feb. 28, 2:50-4:50 p.m.
- Mock trial exercises take place in March at the University of Minnesota Law School during Minnesota Law’s spring break.
- Excellent verbal and trial skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong leadership skills with ability to motivate and encourage others.
Education and Experience
This volunteer position is open to all law students enrolled in the 2023-2024 school year.
To apply or learn more about volunteering, please contact us at email@example.com.