UPLIFT Law Student Trial Coach
Volunteer Job Summary – Law Student Trial Coaches:
Law Student Trial Coaches will volunteer in UPLIFT’s mock trial program, using assigned curriculum to teach students in after-school programs taking place at participating middle schools, culminating in a mock trial competition. The time commitment per week is approximately five hours, including preparation and teaching and mentoring at the after-school program. Law Student Trial Coaches will have the opportunity to work and connect with volunteer attorney coaches from private practice, in-house counsel offices, and public service. Eligible candidates must have access to transportation to their assigned middle school. Completion of or enrollment in Evidence course preferred.
Duties/ Responsibilities Include:
- Uses assigned curriculum to teach and mentor eighth grade students about the purpose of criminal trials, burden of proof, role of participants in a trial, elements of a trial.
- Leads and supports volunteer attorney mock trial coaches in teaching eighth grade students how to perform trial skills: openings, closings, direct examinations, cross examinations, objections, impeachments, exhibits, etc.
- Regularly communicates schedules and curriculum plans with assigned attorney coaches.
- Maintains files with curriculum and other data.
- Mock trial programs run from October–March, with an approximate five-hour per week commitment.
- Mandatory trainings will take place in September to provide coaches with thorough instruction on the curriculum and learning goals.
- After-school meetings with students begin in October. Coaches assigned to St. Louis Park will meet on Tuesdays. Coaches assigned to Columbia Heights and Roseville will meet on Wednesdays.
- Mock trial exercises take place in March during Minnesota Law’s spring break to complete the program.
- Excellent verbal and trial skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong leadership skills with ability to motivate and encourage others.
Education and Experience:
This volunteer position is open to all students currently enrolled in law school.
To apply or learn more about volunteering, please contact Marielle Sinicropi at Uplift.email@example.com.