Jason A. Lien
Jason Lien focuses his litigation practice on representing clients from the construction, real estate, financial services, food, and railroad industries. He regularly appears in federal and state court on behalf of design-build firms, general contractors, architects, engineers, specialty contractors, suppliers, property management companies, real estate owners, and lenders. A portion of Jason's practice also involves representing a major U.S. railroad in disputes throughout Minnesota and North Dakota.
Recognized by Chambers USA for construction law in 2016-2023, he is described as "an esteemed trial lawyer with a wealth of experience assisting with litigation mandates relating to construction defects and insurance coverage issues." Prior to joining Maslon in 2002, Jason honed his trial and appellate skills as a Naval Officer with the United States Navy Judge Advocate General's Corps, where he led hundreds of courts-martial, administrative hearings, and military appeals.
In addition to his litigation practice, Jason served as a member of Maslon's Governance Committee from 2017 to 2019 and as the committee's vice chair from 2018 to 2019. Jason was selected for inclusion on the 2015-2022 Minnesota Super Lawyers® lists and prior to that was recognized on the Minnesota Rising Stars lists.
Outside of the office, Jason is an avid triathlete and a three-time Ironman finisher.
Construction, Real Estate, and Financial Services
- Represented contractors, developers, design firms, property owners, lenders, real estate management companies, and non-profit groups in hundreds of disputes involving:
- defective design, defective construction, and delay claims;
- insurance coverage claims involving property damage arising from defective construction, remediation, business interruption, and loss of use;
- mechanic's liens claims and surety bonds;
- government contractor claims;
- land use and zoning;
- landlord-tenant disputes;
- partitions, easements, conservation easements, and boundary lines;
- property tax appeals;
- eminent domain proceedings; and
- commercial foreclosures, receivership actions, and loan workouts.
- Represented national engineering firm in multi-party, consolidated litigation arising from natural gas explosion that allegedly occurred during the construction of underground utilities.
- Represented stone cladding fabricator against design defect claim involving claims of construction and design defects of stone cladding installed on a 25-story condominium tower.
- Defended architect in dispute involving alleged construction and design defects to building enclosure of 26-story mixed-use apartment tower.
- Represented international bridge design firm in $80+ million dispute arising from claims made by bridge’s general contractor for additional compensation due, in part, to alleged design defects.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in $15+ million dispute arising from defective design and construction of data center's underground electrical feeder system.
- Represented national REIT in litigation regarding termination of purchase of agreement of real estate located in San Jose, California, valued at $30+ million.
- Defended general partner of low income housing tax credit (LIHTC) properties in dispute with limited partners over allegations of breach of limited partnership agreements and fiduciary duties.
- Defended architectural and engineering firm against alleged structural design defect claims involving a $30+ million municipal parking ramp.
- Represented engineering firm in multi-party litigation involving repair damages alleged by university caused by design and construction defects to waterproofing systems in new campus buildings.
- Represented international engineering, procurement, and construction company in multi-state jurisdiction insurance coverage and bad faith litigation that resulted in successful recovery of damages arising from $100+ million design and construction dispute.
- Defended international design-build firm in several disputes arising from an allegedly defective design and construction of ethanol plants.
- Defended major commercial aggregate and ready-mix concrete supplier in disputes regarding alleged concrete defects, insurance coverage, and land use and zoning.
- Represented major U.S. railroad in various real estate litigation matters throughout Minnesota and North Dakota, including right-of-way disputes, administrative law proceedings, quiet title actions, condemnations, land use, and lease disputes.
Food, Drug, and Product Liability
- Represented food company in contract dispute with international food additive supplier involving product recall and application of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG).
- Represented food manufacturers and restaurateurs in litigation involving contract, construction, commercial leases, and class action lawsuits alleging violation of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA).
- Advised client on product recall and obtained multimillion-dollar jury verdict for client to recover recall costs and other consequential damages from supplier.
- Represented drug research and development corporation in contract dispute with service provider.
- Represented major medical device company in disputes to enforce non-competition, non-solicitation, and confidentiality agreements against former officers and employees.
- Assisted in obtaining injunction for minority shareholder to prevent controlling shareholders from taking actions to freeze out client from medical device manufacturing company, which ultimately resulted in multimillion-dollar buy-out settlement.
- Helped establish important legal precedent for healthcare industry on the admissibility of administrative disciplinary agreements in medical malpractice cases.
- Represented healthcare professionals in fraud investigations, licensing matters, contract disputes, non-competition agreement disputes, and misrepresentation claims involving the sale of medical practices.
- Represented healthcare service company in breach of fiduciary duty and fraud claim filed by minority shareholder.
- In re Petition by Qwest Corporation for Resolution of a Dispute with BNSF Railway Company Over the Use of Railroad Right-of-Way Under Minn. Stat. § 237.045, 918 N.W.2d 578, (Minn. Ct. App. 2018)
- The Shaw Group, Inc. v. Zurich Am. Ins. Co., 2014 WL 6610010 (M.D. La. Nov. 20, 2014)
- Reed v. Insituform Tech., Inc., 2014 WL 359333 (D. Minn. Feb. 3, 2014)
- TheMLSonline.com, Inc. v. Regional Multiple Listing Service of Minnesota, Inc., 840 F. Supp. 2d 1019 (D. Minn. 2010)
- State v. Lombardo Bros. Mason Contractors, Inc., 90 A.2d 983 (Conn. Super. 2009)
- CFMOTO Powersports, Inc. v. NNR Global Logistics USA, Inc., 2009 WL 4730330 (D. Minn. Dec. 4, 2009)
- In re Buckmaster, 755 N.W.2d 570 (Minn. Ct. App. 2008)
- Dingxi Longhai Dairy, Ltd. v. Becwood Tech. Group, LLC, 2008 WL 2690287 (D. Minn. July 1, 2008)
- Aaron v. Crooks, 2006 WL 91454 (Minn. Ct. App. Jan. 17, 2006)
- Afremov v. Amplatz, 2004 WL 77851 (Minn. Ct. App. Jan. 13, 2004)
- State v. Windish, 2003 WL 22952735 (Minn. Ct. App. Dec. 16, 2003)
- Watkins, Inc. v. Lewis, 346 F.3d 841 (8th Cir. 2003)
- In re Foley Trust, 671 N.W.2d 206 (Minn. Ct. App. 2003)
- United States v. Ellis, 57 M.J. 375 (C.A.A.F. 2002)
- United States v. Oliver, 57 M.J. 170 (C.A.A.F. 2002)
- United States v. Williams, 57 M.J. 1 (C.A.A.F. 2002)
- United States v. Smith, 56 M.J. 271 (C.A.A.F. 2001)
- United States v. Adams, 65 M.J. 552 (N.M.Ct.Crim.App. 2006)
- United States v. Bell, 60 M.J. 682 (N.M.Ct.Crim.App. 2004)
- United States v. Starling, 58 M.J. 620 (N.M.Ct.Crim.App. 2003)
- United States v. Dezotell, 58 M.J. 517 (N.M.Ct.Crim.App. 2003)
- United States v. Quiroz, 57 M.J. 583 (N.M.Ct.Crim.App. 2002)
- United States v. Lilyblad, 56 M.J. 636 (N.M.Ct.Crim.App. 2001)
- United States v. Santiago, 56 M.J. 610 (N.M.Ct.Crim.App. 2001)
Recognized in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Construction, Minnesota, 2016-2023
Recognized on Minnesota Super Lawyers® list, 2015-2022 (Minnesota Super Lawyers® is a designation given to only 5% of Minnesota attorneys each year, based on a selection process that includes the recommendation of peers in the legal profession.)
North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2015 (North Star Lawyer is a designation that recognizes members who provide 50 hours or more of pro bono legal services in a calendar year.
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2021-2023
Recognized on Minnesota Rising Stars list as part of the Super Lawyers® selection process, 2006-2009, 2011-2012 (Minnesota Rising Stars is a designation given to only 2.5% of Minnesota attorneys each year, based on a selection process that includes the recommendation of peers in the legal profession.)
Named JAG of the Quarter by the Navy Judge Advocate General and JAG of the Year for the region by the Commanding Officer of the Naval Legal Service Office Central, 2001
Corpus Juris Secundum Award, Civil Procedure, 1996