Steve Schleicher, an experienced trial lawyer, concentrates his work on high stakes civil litigation and products liability cases, government and internal investigations, and white-collar criminal matters. He also serves as co-chair of Maslon's Government & Internal Investigations Group.
Steve has 22 years' experience as a trial lawyer, having spent his career as a prosecuting attorney before joining Maslon. A former federal prosecutor, he worked for 13 years in the U.S. Attorney's Office, serving as the Deputy Criminal Chief of the Special Prosecution Section (2014-2016) and as the St. Paul Branch Chief. Prior to joining the U.S. Attorney's Office, Steve worked at the Minnesota Attorney General's Office and Winona County Attorney's Office. Steve also has experience in military courts, having served as a JAG Corps Officer in the United States Army Reserve.
Throughout his career, Steve has prosecuted many criminal cases, including murder and other violent crime; complex narcotics conspiracies; racketeering; organized crime; fraud; and civil rights violations. He has also had numerous jury trials and has conducted hundreds of investigations. In 2016, he served as a prosecutor on the Jacob Wetterling case and was recognized as an "Attorney of the Year" by Minnesota Lawyer for his dedicated work.
Tort & Product Liability Litigation
- Represent leading medical device manufacturer in nationwide lawsuits involving both implanted and external medical devices in multiple state and federal courts across the country.
- Served as co-liaison defense counsel for leading corn seed developer in Minnesota state court consolidated action involving over 65,000 individual U.S. corn growers and various entities that purchased, stored, transported, and exported corn grown in the U.S., along with a class of Minnesota corn growers alleging tort and consumer fraud claims against client.
Government & Internal Investigations
- A former federal prosecutor, Steve has conducted hundreds of investigations on behalf of the United States, including complex fraud matters, money laundering, organized crime and violent crime.
- Investigated a security company holding a multimillion-dollar contract at a major NFL venue on behalf of a worldwide venue management company.
- Assisted major automobile manufacturer in investigation of security breach and intellectual property theft.
- Represents health care providers and pharmacies in investigations conducted by Drug Enforcement Administration and other state and federal agencies.
Presidents Award, Minnesota State Association of Narcotics Investigators, 2017
Julius E. Gernes Prosecutor Award, Minnesota State Bar Association Public Law Section, 2017
Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer, 2016
Arson Prosecutor of the Year, 2004, International Association of Arson Investigators, Minnesota Chapter