Karen Bjorkman, a partner in Maslon's Real Estate Group, has extensive experience in all areas of commercial real estate. Karen's no-nonsense, practical approach to negotiation and legal resolutions helps her facilitate both simple and complex transactions, with an emphasis on completing transactions in an orderly and efficient manner.
Karen represents property owners, developers, borrowers, and lenders in all types of property-related transactions, including acquisitions, easement, license and occupancy issues, development of real estate, risk analysis in connection with environmental contamination, resolution of common-interest community property issues, financing, real estate-related estate planning, and drafting and negotiating of commercial leases from both the landlord and the tenant's perspective, including retail, office, industrial and ground leases. Her practice crosses into related, complex contract, liability and insurance law, especially in connection with shared occupancy and ownership situations, including environmental liability questions. She also represents financial institutions in connection with their commercial lending transactions, including drafting and negotiating, workouts, and foreclosures on all aspects of commercial and construction lending documents.
Karen has extensive experience in title insurance, survey and easement matters and has represented multiple clients in Section 1031 tax-deferred exchanges.
Numerous sales and purchases of commercial properties, including:
- Negotiation for the acquisition of commuter rail easements of more than forty miles of commuter rail line between Big Lake, Minnesota and Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Negotiation for the sale of 7,000+ utility easements in connection with an asset sale of a major regional telephone company.
- The sale of major locally based technology campus, including TIF documentation.
- Acquisition of more than 100 nationally located sites for restaurant development.
- Acquisition of numerous sites for development and operation, both locally and nationally, including redevelopment sites with environmental cleanup.
- Replatting commercial property for development and resale.
- Hundreds of retail, industrial, and commercial leases.
- Workout of defaulted commercial mortgage loans, including specialty properties, such as shopping centers, movie theaters, and resort properties.
- The sale of business assets, including real estate.
- Documentation of over 1,000 mortgage-based loans to local banks for construction, land development, and permanent financing.
Recognized on Minnesota Super Lawyers® list, 2006-2008 (Minnesota Super Lawyers® is a designation given to only 5 percent of Minnesota attorneys each year, based on a selection process that includes the recommendation of peers in the legal profession.)
Recognized on Minnesota Rising Stars list as part of the Super Lawyers® selection process, 2002 (Minnesota Rising Stars is a designation given to only 2.5 percent of Minnesota attorneys each year, based on a selection process that includes the recommendation of peers in the legal profession.)
AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell® (AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties, Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell® certification procedures, standards and policies.)