Sarah Horstmann represents clients in complex litigation matters, including business torts and contract disputes, with a particular emphasis on covenant-not-to-compete and trade secret litigation. She also has experience defending clients on product liability claims. Sarah has practiced in state and federal courts across the country as well as the Minnesota appellate courts and Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Sarah has been recognized as a North Star Lawyer by the Minnesota State Bar Association for her pro bono service contributions, which include representing clients in unemployment insurance appeals through the Minnesota State Bar Association's Appellate Practice Section.
Sarah is a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Minnesota Law School, where she was a staff member and editor of the Minnesota Journal of International Law. She earned her bachelor's degree with honors in international studies from Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio.
Unfair Competition, Trade Secrets, and Employment Litigation
- Werner v. Works Computing, Inc., (D. Neb. May 31, 2018). Obtained dismissal of non-compete dispute based on forum selection clause in employment agreement.
- Medtronic, Inc. v. Doerr, et al., No. 02-CV-13-4759, 2015 Minn. App. Unpub. LEXIS 137 (Minn. Ct. App. Feb. 9, 2015). Won appeal affirming preliminary injunction against two former employees of client for violating non-compete and confidentiality provisions of their employment agreements.
- C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc. v. Lobrano, 695 F. 3d 758 (8th Cir. 2012). Obtained dismissal of lawsuit as barred by prior judgment.
- Secured temporary restraining orders for medical device manufacturer in actions to enforce non-competes and other restrictive covenants.
- Represented corporation in lawsuit brought by former CEO asserting breach of employment agreement and violations of Minnesota wage-related statutes.
- Represented corporations in successful appeals to Minnesota Court of Appeals regarding application of Minnesota's unemployment compensation statutes.
- Represented client in defamation action arising from online reviews posted by a competitor.
General Business Litigation
Product Liability Litigation
- Represented major medical device company in nationwide litigation arising from voluntary product recall.
- Defended putative nationwide class action alleging warranty and consumer fraud claims related to snowmobile engines.
Minnesota State Bar Association
Hennepin County Bar Association
Recognized on Minnesota Rising Stars list as part of the Super Lawyers® selection process, 2017 (Minnesota Rising Stars is a designation given to only 2.5 percent of Minnesota attorneys each year, based on a selection process that includes the recommendation of peers in the legal profession.)
Top Women Attorneys in Minnesota® list, 2018 (The annual edition of the Top Women Attorneys in Minnesota list features attorneys who received the highest point totals in the previous year's Minnesota Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars balloting, research, and blue ribbon review process.)
North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2012-2013 (North Star Lawyer is a designation that recognizes members who provide 50 hours or more of pro bono legal services in a calendar year.)